5 Days Biking the Congo Nile Trail (Tour Overview)
On your Rwanda safari tours, you can choose to go for a cycling exercise along the famous 5 Days Congo Nile trail. This Cycling tour will take you on the much coveted Congo Nile trail which runs in western Rwanda partly along the Lake Kivu with beautiful views of the lake. It takes you through beautiful scenery and villages with locals going about their life. This safari takes 5 days with camping nights in the villages and 6 days if you are staying at Guesthouses spread throughout the trail.
Full Itinerary Details for the 5 Days Congo Nile Trail
The Congo Nile trail is well-marked with several stopovers of villages which offer camping sites, shops and guesthouses for those who prefer this. The trail primarily follows rocky, dirt roads that wind up and around the numerous hills between Gisenyi and Kamembe. Do not expect a pleasant rural single track – you will be sharing the road with motorcycle traffic and the occasional beer delivery trucks or minibus. There are a few long climbs, you will be ascending and descending between intervals of 1450 and 1800 meters.
Food and Water – Both are available throughout the entire trail. You are never more than 5-10 km from a village with a drink shop.
Distance to cover in 5 Days of Congo Nile trail Drive (Difficulty level: Challenging)
Day 1: Gisenyi to Kinunu – 41 km – ride takes 5 to 6 hours. The first day features the steepest elevation climb.
Day 2: Kinunu to Kibuye – 50 km and takes about 5 to 8 hours. Day 2 on the road to Kibuye has the most hills spread out – definitely the most taxing day.
Day 3: Kibuye to Mugonero – 35km, about 3 to 5 hours. Day 3 to Mugonero is short, but incorporates the highest climb of the trip to 1,887 meters.
Day 4: Mugonero to Kibogora – 35 km about 4 to 5 hours. Day 4, you rapidly descend to 1,440 meters (Lake Kivu level) and climb back up to 1,750 meters over 10+ kilometers.
Day 5: Kibogora to Kamembe – 54 km about 5 to 6 hours. Day 5 is easy – you’re on beautiful new tarmac road and there are only minor rolling hills.
Where to stay while biking the Congo Nile trail.
- Gisenyi – Inzu Lodge.
- Kinunu – Kinunu Guesthouse
- Kibuye – Home Saint Jean
- Mugonero – L’Esparance Guesthouse
- Kibogora – Kibogora Guesthouse
- Kamembe – Peace Guesthouse
What to bring for Rwanda Cycling Tours
- Rain jacket
- Water bottle
Thank you for experience the 5 Days Congo Nile Trail with Ikaze Rwanda Tours
- Community-based experiences along the trail
- Local guiding fees
- Boat ride fees
- B&B accommodation with breakfast and dinner (Buffet set or à la carte)
- 4WD Vehicle, with fuel and expert driver
- Return transfer to Kigali
- Government and all local taxes
- Service and bank charge fees
- Mineral Drinking water
- International airfares and Visa application fees
- Transfer from Kigali (or any other location) to Gisenyi
- Transfer from Gisenyi to the starting point of the trail.
- Items of personal nature such as laundry, shopping, or additional snacks.
- Other soft and alcoholic drinks
- Insurance fees
- Tips to guides, drivers & rangers
[quform id=”1″ name=”Inquiry Form”]